[Debian-eeepc-devel] max solidstate disk speed?

Karl O. Pinc kop at meme.com
Fri Mar 21 01:22:47 UTC 2008

On 03/20/2008 05:04:52 PM, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I was reading trough my debian sid boot dmesg and saw the following
> lines:
>
> ata2.00: ATA-4: SILICONMOTION SM223AC, , max UDMA/66
> ata2.00: 7815024 sectors, multi 0: LBA
> ata2.00: limited to UDMA/33 due to 40-wire cable
> ata2.00: configured for UDMA/33
>
> I think the ssd is not running on his max speed, is this true, and
> what
> can we do about it?

Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Attachment#Differences_between_connectors_on_80_conductor_cables)
sez:
  "Since the old 40 conductor cables do not ground pin 34, the presence
of a ground connection indicates that an 80 conductor cable is
installed."

So, it's either the cable, the ssd or the mobo that needs fiddling
with, unless you think it's safe to violate the ATA requirements
and want to try flipping some bit in the software.  (Probably
a kernel command line option.)  (Again, wikipedia:
[80 pin cables are] "necessary to enable the 66 megabytes
per second (MB/s) transfer rate of UDMA4 to work reliably.")

Karl <kop at meme.com>
                  -- Robert A. Heinlein