[Debian-eeepc-devel] wpa_supplicant problems fixed

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Tue Nov 4 01:52:13 UTC 2008

The problem, as they say, was between the keyboard and chair.

Early on, I had built a version from the RaLink sources that was
installed in /lib/modules/NNN/local/rt2860sta.ko.  Then, whenever I
tried the version from Debian, or the 1.7.1 version, it got installed
in /lib/modules/NNN/kernel/drivers/wireless, but the older version
shadowed it in the modules.dep file, so modprobe always loaded the
same, broken version.

In fact, *both* the 1.8.0 version from rt2860-source, and the 1.7.1
version that I reconstructed, seem to associate fine with my AP.
I apologize to anyone who wasted cycles trying to help me debug this.

So far, the version 1.8.0 in the Debian archive seems fine and I see
no reason to downgrade to 1.7.1.