[Debian-eeepc-devel] Article about fast booting at debian-administration.org

Phil Endecott spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org
Tue Nov 11 11:36:44 UTC 2008

Jelle de Jong wrote:
> modprobe is currently just far to slow...

Agreed.  It would be interesting to find out where all the time goes,
and to try to improve it.  Maybe it's just the large number of
invocations (i.e. all the forks).  Maybe it's because it has to read
lots of configuration files.  Maybe it's because udevd has to read lots
of configuration files, and it's not modprobe at all.  Some
investigation with strace -t would be worthwhile.

I decided to go for the pre-populated /dev approach simply because it
was what Arjan had done, and I guessed that he had already considered
the alternatives and determined that this was the best approach.

> I experimented with parallel booting of services, my biggest issue is
> that the logging also when parallel so the vt logging output becomes a
> real mess. We should aim for a system that does parallelization in the
> background but does all the logging and feedback to the user in a
> logical way that is possible to follow and use for debugging.

when you need to see the logging, disable the parallelisation?  (make
-j has the same issue.)  Of course, you may find that the bug you're
fixing goes away when it's not run in parallel....

Phil.