[Debian-eeepc-devel] WPA_supplicant EeePC No Internet

Glenn Saberton gsaberton at foomagic.org
Wed Oct 1 01:42:58 UTC 2008

Charles-André Roy wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I installed Debian Lenny on my EeePC.  My wireless router is configured
> with WPA.  I used the WPA-Beta installer and it worked well.
>
> I do not have any problem connecting to my wireless router at home and
> have access to Internet. I do it through the
> file /etc/network/interface.
>
> This is my first laptop, so I do not have very much experience with
> wireless connections.  To easily connect to networks outside my home I
> installed the wpa-supplicant package.  But I cannot have an Internet
> connection this way.
>
> My /etc/network/interface is the following:
>
> =========
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> allow-hotplug ath0
> iface ath0 inet manual
> #      wpa-driver wext
>        wpa-driver madwifi
>        wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> iface default inet dhcp
> =========
>
> I just found out yesterday that it is the use of the wext driver that
> caused my problems at boot when my machine got stuck at the statd
> operation which after a few minutes failed.  With the other driver, I
> seem to have a connection for a few minutes, but then I lose it.
Debian removed the madwifi driver from wpasupplicant in version 0.6.3-2.
The maintainer added some glue so that if you use the madwifi backend,
it will still use wext anyway. Can you supply some logs when the machine
hangs at boot? I'm not sure its madwifi related.

> Here is my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file:
>
> ==========
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=0
> ap_scan=1
> fast_reauth=1
> eapol_version=1
> network={
>         ssid="MyRouterName"
>         psk="MyRouterPassword"
>         priority=5
> }
>
> =========
>
> Right now I am just trying to connect to my home router.  When that
> works, I will add other networks.

Your configs look ok to me. Can you try starting wpasupplicant manually
and send the output? You will need to make sure its not running (also
wpa_cli) and that your interface is up, then start it with the following
line.

wpa_supplicant -i ath0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd

If it loops without stopping, then ctrl-c it and send a chunk of the
output.

Cheers

Glenn