[Debian-eeepc-devel] eee 900. Disk seen as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc

Klaus Ade Johnstad klaus at skolelinux.no
Tue Oct 7 15:27:27 UTC 2008

My Asus eee 900 running debian caused me some headaches.

Depending on whether a usbmouse (or any other usb device, like
webcamera turned on in bios) was attached, the disk would present
itself to grub as either /dev/sda, /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc, witch didn't
work very well since I had in menu.lst the line "root=/dev/sdb1".

I solved it by replacing /dev/sdb1 with the disk UUID, which I found
in /dev/disk/by-uuid/.

Using UUID in  /boot/grub/menu.lst, /etc/fstab and /etc/uswsusp.conf
solved all my problems, and I no longer need to remember to remove the
usbmouse when I start the machine.

Anybody else seen this behaviour?
--
Klaus Ade
67E61D18B2C44F8A3DA35C6D849F9F5F 26FA477D