[Debian-eeepc-devel] 5 second boot

Phil Endecott spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org
Thu Oct 9 16:19:12 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm surprised that no-one here has yet mentioned Arjan van de Ven and
Auke Kok's work to get an Eee 901 to boot in 5 seconds:

      http://lwn.net/Articles/299483/

The slides from the talk are now available here:

      http://www.fenrus.org/plumbers_fastboot.ppt

though I have not yet read them as I don't have anything to read
Powerpoint (and think it's totally bizarre that Arjan chose to
distribute them in this format; if someone can convert to PDF I'd be
most grateful).

I'd be interested to hear what people think about this.  Do we agree
that improving the boot speed is a useful thing to do?  How much of
this work can be applied easily to Debian?  My Eee 901 currently takes
16 seconds from pressing the power button to grub handing over to the
kernel, and a further 33 seconds from the kernel starting to the xdm
login window appearing.

Cheers,  Phil.