[Debian-eeepc-devel] 5 second boot

Santi Béjar santi at agolina.net
Fri Oct 10 13:50:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Phil Endecott
<spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org> wrote:
> Damyan Ivanov wrote:
>> -=| Phil Endecott, Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 05:19:12PM +0100 |=-
>>> I'm surprised that no-one here has yet mentioned Arjan van de Ven
>>> and Auke Kok's work to get an Eee 901 to boot in 5 seconds:
>>>
>>>       http://lwn.net/Articles/299483/
>>>
>>> The slides from the talk are now available here:
>>>
>>>       http://www.fenrus.org/plumbers_fastboot.ppt
>>
>>> I'd be interested to hear what people think about this.  Do we agree
>>> that improving the boot speed is a useful thing to do?
>>
>> Sure it is!

Sure, but I would prefer to speed up the resume stage as I use it more often.
Currently it spends ~15s (not sure, as I don't have my 701 here).
Do you know how can I debug it? I've activated the pm-utils logging
and it runs in less than one second. I've used bootchartd to record
what is running, but it is resumed too late to debug it.

>>> How much of this work can be applied easily to Debian?
>
> Thinking about the things that Arjan & Auke have done in turn:
>
> They have made some kernel changes to increase concurrency between
> subsystem initialisations.  Presumably we'll see this in a mainline
> kernel in due course.
>
> They built a custom kernel with the required modules compiled in.  I
> don't think this project would want to distribute a custom kernel,
> would it?  Alternatives include distributing kernel config files.  I
> have also wondered if it is possible to
>
>   lsmod | some-magic-script > .config

Or even better :-)

lsmod | some-magic-script > vmlinuz

[...]

>  Optimising this is what bootchart is good for.

Do you know a "diff" for bootchart?, so you can see how it gets better
or worse (with the time).

> Finally there's all the mode switching that X does.  Again, hopefully
> we'll see an improvement in some future upstream versions; changes are
> needed in X and the kernel.

Yes, but for now is there a way to generate a xorg.conf automatically
the first time and use it afterwards?

Thanks

Santi

P.D.: Just say Hello, as it is my first post in the list (apart from a
bug report).