[Debian-eeepc-devel] 5 second boot

Phil Endecott spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org
Mon Oct 13 11:48:47 UTC 2008

>> I've found that pciehp is taking a lot of time. It is better removing
>> it before the suspend, and loading it afterwards. It goes from 14.5
>> sec to 8.5. I have this in /etc/pm/config.d/local:
>>
>> SUSPEND_MODULES="ath-pci pciehp"
>
> Adding SUSPEND_MODULES="pciehp" improves resume time on 901 too. Since
> 901s don't have ath-pci, adding that too won't have any ill effects on
> them.
>
> Any objections against adding a /etc/pm/config.d/eeepc file to
> eeepc-acpi-scripts?

Well I'm sure the kernel devs would prefer us to work out why it's
slow, rather than "papering over" the problem....

Looking at my dmesg output, the messages related to pciehp during boot
and resume come out with delays that are suspiciously close to exactly
1 second.  This makes me think that there's some deliberate delay or
timeout of 1 second in there somewhere.  For example, there's a 1
second timeout in pcie_write_cmd() in
/drivers/pci/hotplug/pciehp_hpc.c.  Turning on pciehp_debug would
surely reveal some more details.

Phil.