[Debian-eeepc-devel] About 901 and LVM

Phil Endecott spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org
Mon Oct 13 12:21:41 UTC 2008

Ernesto Domato wrote:
> My idea is to create just one disk with LVM joining the 4 Gb disk with the
> 16 Gb disk but I'd read on this page
> http://wiki.eeeuser.com/hardy_on_eee901that the 16 Gb disk is much
> slower that the 4 Gb disk. So, maybe this is not
> a great idea and is better to use the default the 4 Gb for / and the 16 Gb
> for /home and in the case of need more space for some directory just create
> it on /home a make a symlink where it should be on /

My understanding - though I haven't measured it - is that the speed
difference is greater for writes than for reads.  Since writes to / and
/usr are relatively rare you might prefer to put /home and /var on the
faster disk.  But where do you need the extra capacity?  Will you
install some huge bloated software packages in /usr, or do you have you
own huge photo collection in /home?

Something that unifies the disks, like LVM, is the obvious solution.
For some reason I didn't install it, and I wish I could remember why.
Perhaps one day we'll have something that automagically migrates the
frequently-used files to the faster disk.

Phil.