[Debian-eeepc-devel] 5 second boot

Phil Endecott spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org
Mon Oct 13 16:26:16 UTC 2008

Phil Endecott wrote:
> Finally there's all the mode switching that X does.

By moving xdm start from S99 to S15, I knock two seconds off the boot
time; the other tasks S16...S98 run while X is scanning the hardware;
by the time the login dialog appears they have all finished.

I note that gdm runs at S30, so maybe Gnome users are already seeing
some of this benefit.  I'm not sure if there's anything important
between 16 and 30 that gdm depends on.  I chose S15 because the things
<15 seem as if they might matter for the desktop (e.g. dbus); but since
it takes a finite time to type a password it might still be safe to
move xdm even earlier.

Phil.