[Debian-eeepc-devel] What kernel driver should we be using for the disk? AHCI?

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 19:51:30 UTC 2008

I demand that Damyan Ivanov may or may not have written...

> -=| Valtteri Vuorikoski, Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 09:37:02PM +0300 |=-
>> "Phil Endecott" <spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org> writes:
>>> Apparently, this chip is capable of two modes of operation: legacy and
>>> AHCI. The BIOS can set the mode, and its PCI ID will change in response.
>>> I see the legacy-mode PCI ID 8086:27c4. The AHCI-mode PCI ID is
>>> 8086:27c5. My BIOS doesn't give me any way to change this (unless I'm
>>> being very blind). What do other people see? Clearly Arjan's machine has
>>> this chip in AHCI mode. Maybe someone with a 901 with a newer BIOS (mine
>>> is 1101) can comment.
>> Legacy mode on bios 1301. I see 1603 came out a few days ago, someone
>> posted a changelog but nothing related to this was mentioned.

> 1603 here, 27c4 :(  No setting in the BIOS.

Same here...

> Could it be that they used some 'force' in the kernel driver?

Probably something based on Matthew Garrett's patch, but I'm guessing here.

Anyway, I've tried that patch (with minor adjustments) on 2.6.27. AHCI works
on my older laptop but the DVD drive is not detected. It "works" on my 901 in
as much as the controller is configured and the driver is initialised; but
both SSDs go undetected, which means no root FS and a kernel panic...

| + Use more efficient products. Use less.          BE MORE ENERGY EFFICIENT.

If you can read this, you're irrelevant.