[Debian-eeepc-devel] wifi0 not up after wake from sleep

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Fri Oct 17 04:12:07 UTC 2008

-=| Daniel Kahn Gillmor, Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 04:09:27PM -0400 |=-
> I ran into the pciehp issue yesterday, which i just blogged about
> [0].
> I wonder if there's a way to check to automatically make sure that
> pciehp is properly loaded initially?  why was the modprobe pciehp
> removed from the wireless acpi toggle in eeepc-acpi-scripts 1.0.9?
> Under that version, if pciehp is not in /etc/modules (or otherwise
> pre-loaded correctly), the wireless device won't properly unplug/plug.
> If /etc/modules is the right place for it, is there a way to encourage
> adding that line somewhere?  I don't know where the right place to put
> this suggestion would be, but it wouldn't hurt to have it in
> /usr/share/doc/eeepc-acpi-scripts/README.Debian.gz.

I think the installation procedure outlined in the wiki suggests
adding pciehp to /etc/modules

As of 1.0.9, eeepc-acpi-scripts ships /etc/modprobe.d/eeepc which
contains the right options for pciehp (doesn't cause the module to be
loaded, just passes the options to it when it is loaded by other
means, e.g. /etc/modules).

> I'm using kernel 2.6.26, and madwifi for the wireless.  madwifi
> creates two ethernet devices: wifi0 and ath0.  Since i'm using
> network-manager, when i echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/eeepc/wlan &&
> modprobe ath_pci, both wifi0 and ath0 enter the UP state (according to
> "ip link").
>
> But i notice that when i put the system to sleep and then wake it up
> again, ath0 is "UP", but wifi0 is *not* UP.  In this state, i can't
> even scan for networks.  At the most fine-grained level (with full
> superuser powers), i appear to be able to fix this with the command:
> "ip link set wifi up".  But i'm often not running as the superuser, so
> it's quickest to just hit Fn+F2 twice to disable and then re-enable
> the wireless (because they both come back up in the UP state).  But
> why would wifi0 not be up upon wake from sleep?  Has anyone else
> experienced this?  Any suggested workarounds?

I think adding a file under /etc/pm/config.d containing
"SUSPEND_MODULES=ath_pci" would help here. This cannot be put in the
-scripts package as this workaround is specific to the atheros models
using madwifi.

You may also want to try with a recent 2.6.27 kernel and ath5k.

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org