[Debian-eeepc-devel] Why do we use pciehp?

Phil Endecott spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org
Wed Oct 22 21:38:38 UTC 2008

Dear All,

Does anyone know where the idea to use pciehp to manage wireless on/off
originally came from?

Please see these two threads from linux-pci:

     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.pci/1311
     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.pci/1486

The summary is:
- There's now a patch that eliminates the 1-second delay when pciehp
turns on a slot.
- The 1-second delay when pciehp turns off a slot is unavoidable,
though AFAICT it doesn't break on the Eee 901 if you reduce it to 100ms.
- The experts suspect that we shouldn't be using pciehp at all, but
should perhaps be using acpiphp or something else.  acpiphp doesn't
immediately appear to work for me - but then pciehp wouldn't work
either without the magic "force" option.  Hence my question: why are we
using pciehp anyway?  Whose idea was it?

Cheers,  Phil.