[Debian-eeepc-devel] Two seconds shaved off kernel boot time by locking fix

Phil Endecott spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org
Thu Oct 23 13:50:23 UTC 2008

Toma? ?olc wrote:
>> fixes the problem where I found that the initialisation of the
>> speaker appeared to wait for the initialisation of the mouse to
>> complete, as discussed here:
>
> Is there any use for the PC speaker support on Eee? I can't find any way
> to hear its beeps on my 701.

I haven't found a way to make it beep, and no-one reported success when
I asked about it here:
     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.devel.eeepc/852

But this doesn't mean that removing the speaker driver would remove the
delay.  It would just be some other driver that would block instead
while the slow mouse initialisation runs.  The problem was that for
each bus, each driver is matched against each device in turn and it
waits for the device's lock before matching.  The patch that I linked
to eliminates this locking.

Cheers,  Phil.