[Debian-eeepc-devel] swap and hibernation

David L. Johnson david.johnson at Lehigh.EDU
Sat Oct 25 01:23:11 UTC 2008

With all the improvements of the behavior of my eee since upgrading to
*26-8, I thought I would again try to make hibernation work.

I added 1.5g of swap partition to my sd card (no room on the internal
drive), and added /dev/sdb2  to my /etc/fstab as swap.

It doesn't work.  I can suspend to ram, and recall it, and it works
fine, but if I try to hibernate (using gnome's shutdown and choosing
hibernate), it hangs for maybe a minute, then shuts down.  It does not
hibernate, it shuts down.

So, is it possible to make hibernation work this way, suspending to a
swap partition on the sd drive?  How?

The machine is a 701 with 1G of ram and an 8G sd card.  OS is a current
Lenny.

BTW, at least the swap seems to be working.  It does not get messed up
with a suspend-to-ram, like a mounted partition does if it is mounted at
other than the default location.

--

David L. Johnson

I believe that the motion picture is destined to revolutionize our
educational system and that in a few years it will supplant largely,
if not entirely, the use of textbooks
		-- Thomas Edison, 1922