[Debian-eeepc-devel] swap and hibernation

Paulus Esterhazy pesterhazy at gmx.net
Sun Oct 26 07:58:20 UTC 2008

Eric Cooper schrieb:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:54:13PM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> The difference comes around at boot time: if the system recognizes an
>> available resume image in your swap partition, it should boot just
>> enough to read in that image, reset the state of the system to match,
>> and then jump right back to where it was.
>
> You also need to boot with a parameter like "resume=/dev/sdb2" that
> specifies the swap device where the image was saved. (At least that's
> what I remember from when I tried, unsuccessfully, to get it to work
> on my 701 with an external SDHC card as swap. I haven't tried
> recently.)

AFAIK, the method of choice is to edit

/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume

and then to run

update-initramfs -u

This is how it works on Ubuntu, anyway. FWIW on my Ubuntu 8.04 system,
hibernate works quite reliably (thought not perfectly reliable), albeit
from the internal SSD. There were problems having the SD card available
at resume time in the past, but I don't know if they still exist in
current kernels.

Cheers,
Paulus