[Debian-eeepc-devel] Re : No boot without ac adapter

seb seb.mahler at free.fr
Mon Sep 1 16:10:33 UTC 2008

hy folks,

On 28 Aug 2008, I just installed the last debian sid, with  kernel :
linux-image-2.6.26-1-686
I had the same problem (same as below quoted messages) :

kernel message :   Critical temperature reached (144 C),
and then
my eeepc 900 was shutting down AUTOMATICALLY and immediately !

After a look back to debian eeepc wiki,
it is clear that this bug comes
from __ME__ paying no attention to :
  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Install

    quote : Tasksel

    * After a while the installer presents you a list of tasks to
      install software for.
    * It is OK to install only standard and install other software you
      might want later on.
    * For a really minimal system you can even omit standard.
    *

      Do /**not**/ select the *laptop task*.

end quote

I had  installed the laptop task, while it was said NOT TO DO this.

SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM : reinstall debian ,
and DO NOT SELECT "LAPTOP" when task selection asks for !!

that's it for today,

sorry fo being so loud,
but I hope it will help someone ( at least Andrea and *InSa *)
who would still be stuck
with a fresh debian installed
that shuts down automatically.

thanks for reading up to here ;-)

++
Seb.

No boot without ac adapter
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-eeepc-devel/2008-August/000656.html
and
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/8f7fd9447bc37afa

QUOTING :

Package: linux-image-2.6.26-1-686
Version: 2.6.26-2
Severity: important

Hello,

my eeepc 900 running sid does not boot no more without ac adapter. Or
better it boots without errors, then X comes up
and then system automatically shuts down.

"/var/log/kern.log" reports:
Aug 13 12:38:02 cheyenne kernel: [   32.976355] ACPI: Critical trip point
Aug 13 12:38:02 cheyenne kernel: [   32.976377] Critical temperature
reached (144 C), shutting down.

Obviously that temperature is not true, in fact if I plug the ac adapter
and then boot system works perfectly.
cheyenne:~# acpi -V
     Battery 0: Full, 100%
  AC Adapter 0: on-line