[Debian-eeepc-devel] 901, 1000 owners, what should soft-button?#3 do? ([SCM] Maintenance of eeepc-acpi-scripts debian package?branch, master, updated. b70d7df87f2e4223dfebd9681c7941051532abdd)

Damyan Ivanov dam at modsoftsys.com
Thu Sep 4 06:10:08 UTC 2008

-=| Iván Sánchez Ortega, Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 09:45:32PM +0200 |=-
> El Miércoles, 3 de Septiembre de 2008, Damyan Ivanov escribió:
> [...]
> > I don't find both of the above functions terribly useful. Closing the
> > lid saves more power :)
>
> I though of doing some "extreme power-saving mode", something like switching
> off everything (webcam, wlan, bluethooth, eth0, 3G card), setting the
> governor to powersave, and then unloading usb_ohci in order to stop powering
> off any potential USB devices. :-)

What I had im my mind behind "closing the lid" is the fact that
closing the lid leads to suspension of the system.

What you propose seems a bit drastic to me as it makes the system
nearly unusable for many people (that would want network or bluetooth
keyboard). Also, you missed the cardreader (controllable via
/sys/devices/platform/eeepc :)).

If we want to controll the power of all devices that can be
controlled, the keyboard would fill with shortcuts.

Related, I recently added "options usbcode autosuspend=0" to
/etc/modprobe.d/local as suggested by powertop. The bluetooth device
is still powered upon activation, though
(/sys/devices/usb/4-1/power/level is "on" and should be "auto").
Perhaps this could be corrected in the script. The tricky part is
getting the device address. Hardcoding "4-1" seems bad, although
tempting, as the device is built-in and should not change its
address... But on another model it could be different. *sigh*

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org