[Debian-eeepc-devel] OT: backing up xandros before installing deb

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sun Sep 7 08:27:41 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Off topic, but I thought I'd hear from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

I'm not a deb developer, but am a *nix programmer by trade, so this should
not be too big an ask, tech-wise.

I'm planning to replace the xandros distro that came with my EEE 900 PC
with the debian install.

I think the best course of action is to first backup the entire thing
in case I want to restore the original system. I've created a tarball
1.22 GB is size, simply by tarring the root file system, as root.

Any advice on whether this tarball is enough to restore xandros if need be?

Or does anyone know if Asus provides a means, perhaps off its website,
of restoring an EEE PC from scratch?

Hopefully a restore will not be required.

I plan to hang around this list and the EEE deb installation website to see
how things pan out over the next month or so. You guys are doing a great job
and it seems you are conquering this mountain day by day.

Thanks for your efforts!

cheers
rickw