[Debian-eeepc-devel] OT: backing up xandros before installing deb

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Sun Sep 7 15:38:53 UTC 2008

-=| Rick Welykochy, Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 06:27:41PM +1000 |=-
> I'm planning to replace the xandros distro that came with my EEE 900
> PC with the debian install.

Of course :)

> I think the best course of action is to first backup the entire
> thing in case I want to restore the original system. I've created a
> tarball 1.22 GB is size, simply by tarring the root file system, as
> root.

I think that is is not what you want. See the backup procedure in the
wiki (as oz already mentioned).

But, if you don't have any non-recoverable user data on the disk, I
think you can reinstall everything from the support DVD that comes
with the Eee.

Even if you have some user data, backing only it up makes  more sence
(as you probably want to use it with the Debian install too).

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org