[Debian-eeepc-devel] Is it now safe to upgrade?

Robert Epprecht epprecht at solnet.ch
Wed Sep 10 04:47:08 UTC 2008

"David L. Johnson" <david.johnson at Lehigh.EDU> writes:

> I know it would have been more of a contribution to try upgrading to
> current lenny, with a 2.6.26 kernel, but at the moment I can't find the
> energy to fight configurations as much as I have been reading about on
> this list.
>
> So, now, if I were to upgrade my 701, would I be likely to find wifi
> working, toggling off/on, etc?  Suspending (to ram) working?  The
> warning that was posted a while back was, by me at least, appreciated,
> since I could not have dealt with no wifi access on that machine at this
> time.  But, no one has explicitly given an all-clear, although it
> certainly seems that things are settling down.

There are workarounds for the thermal shutdown problem and for the acpi
failure but not a proper and accepted fix, yet.
See http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Bugs/2.6.26

So why not keep the old kernel and modules as a fallback and then upgrade?

In aptitude you can serch for all packets with 2.6.25 in the name, keep them
at the current version (by pressing =) before you upgrade. Make sure that no
such packet is marked as automatically installed with an A, or else it would
be removed. Carefully read what aptitude wants to do before you accept.

So you can try the new kernel, help the project with feedback, but still can
savely boot into 2.6.25-2

just my opinion...

Robert Epprecht