[Debian-eeepc-devel] Video out toggling

Phil Endecott spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org
Wed Sep 10 12:53:19 UTC 2008

Paul Menzel wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 09.09.2008, 22:42 +0100 schrieb Phil Endecott:

[snip]

>> 4. 1024x600 renders no worse than 640x480 on my 1600x1200 external
>> monitor; however, the scaling that the monitor does does not look
>> great.  1024x768 looks much better after scaling because it's the same
>> scale factor in X and Y.  But 1024x768 is better than the LCD.
>
> Could you elaborate on this last sentence please? I did not understand
> it. Do you mean the internal monitor cannot handle 1024x768?

s/better/bigger/g  - sorry.  "But 1024x768 is _bigger_ than the LCD."
If you send 1024x768 to the 1024x600 LCD it will display the top 600
lines, and those bottom 168 often include important things like the
terminal's prompt, vital GUI components etc....

[snip]

> Where did you find all this information. Manpages or can you share a
> great website?

What information in particular?  "man xrandr".  I know a certain amount
about screen modes because I have worked on various graphics products
professionally.  None of it is magic or secret; in fact a lot of it is
very crude.

Phil.