[Debian-eeepc-devel] Thermal shutdowns in 2.6.26

Robert Epprecht epprecht at solnet.ch
Mon Sep 15 13:03:40 UTC 2008

I have been hunting the thermal shutdown problem during a couple of long
days (and nights...). It was a very difficult bug to track down, as it
appears and disappears on my system without any logic.

This is what I have found so far:

Here's the commit that broke it:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ak/linux-acpi-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=1b7fc5aae8867046f8d3d45808309d5b7f2e036a

Undoing the patch heals the issue, but is probably not the right way to do it.

This patch corrects the issue:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/ak/linux-acpi-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=9d699ed92a459cb408e2577e8bbeabc8ec3989e1

It works well on vanilla 2.6.26.3, the base for our lenny kernel. This is my
favorit solution to backport to our Lenny kernel.

The issue has disappeared in the 2.6.27 pre-patches. I will report later
on this one, as I am not through yet. There's more involved there, I think.

BTW: The file in question (drivers/acpi/ec.c) plays a very important role
regarding our second 2.6.26 bug, the EC GPE storm.

To read more about the bugs start with
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Bugs/2.6.26

Robert Epprecht