[Debian-eeepc-devel] building a new deb package for kernel

obregonmateo at gmail.com obregonmateo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 17:58:20 UTC 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008, Darren Salt wrote:
> > Silly question answered: Debian documentation describes how to make a new
> > linux image with make-kpkg. I'll try this method.
>
> $ fakeroot make-kpkg binary-arch
>
> But watch out for the linux-headers-$VERSION package not containing
> /usr/src/linux-headers-$VERSION/arch/x86/Makefile_32.cpu and containing a
> bad symlink from /usr/src/linux-headers-$VERSION/include/asm to asm-i386
> (should be to asm-x86).

I don't see any linux-headers-2.6.26 package. I installed from
linux-source-2.6.26.tar.bz2 for debian lenny. I followed the web page
instructions, that recommended running the following in the unpacked source
tree:

$ fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --revision=thermalsdhc.1.0 kernel_image

After a bunch of hours I had my linux-image-2.6.26_thermalsdhc.1.0_i386.deb,
which I installed and allowed me (after reboot) to m-a a-i the atl2, madwifi
and linux-uvc drivers.

I'm now running my eeepc 900 with lenny and a patched kernel so that I can
mount my home on a 16GB SDHC card ... without any thermal critical errors and
with the [Fn] buttons working with eeepc-laptop.

Of course, I always turn off the wifi before putting the machine to sleep. I
can take my home SDHC out and store it for safe travel ... and reinsert it
before waking the machine up again.

Thanks debian-eeepc-devel group for helping get this nifty system working!

Mateo.