[Debian-eeepc-devel] WPA_supplicant EeePC No Internet

Charles-André Roy caroy at soleiljaune.com
Tue Sep 30 02:56:15 UTC 2008

Hi:

I installed Debian Lenny on my EeePC.  My wireless router is configured
with WPA.  I used the WPA-Beta installer and it worked well.

I do not have any problem connecting to my wireless router at home and
have access to Internet. I do it through the
file /etc/network/interface.

This is my first laptop, so I do not have very much experience with
wireless connections.  To easily connect to networks outside my home I
installed the wpa-supplicant package.  But I cannot have an Internet
connection this way.

My /etc/network/interface is the following:

=========
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
allow-hotplug ath0
iface ath0 inet manual
#      wpa-driver wext
       wpa-driver madwifi
       wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp
=========

I just found out yesterday that it is the use of the wext driver that
caused my problems at boot when my machine got stuck at the statd
operation which after a few minutes failed.  With the other driver, I
seem to have a connection for a few minutes, but then I lose it.

Here is my /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file:

==========

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
eapol_version=1
network={
        ssid="MyRouterName"
        psk="MyRouterPassword"
        priority=5
}

=========

Right now I am just trying to connect to my home router.  When that
works, I will add other networks.

Can someone give me a hint as to how to go about setting this
connection?

Charles