[Debian-eeepc-devel] Debian Eeepc-live Version 1.0~b1

John jpinks at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 03:44:39 UTC 2009

On 13/04/2009, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 17:25:14 -0500
> John <jpinks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tested today on my spanish keyboard 701.
>> Downloaded, dd'ed to micro SD card and booted  without troubles.
>> Impressive that you've got it inside 256MBs.
>> Spanish locale/ keyboard layout would be nice?
>
> Should be able to boot with keyb=es locale=es (or the full name of your
> locale).  Feel free to add notes to the wiki about this or anything
> else non-obvious.  Could be a draft for a little bit of doc to show (as
> a local page) in iceweasel upon login.

Wiki page down as a users guide to the live OS
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/Live/UsersGuide
I've noted there the results of my exercises today.

>> Sound is fine.
>> Camera use not working - smplayer > Open > URL > tv:// gives me nothing.
>
> Enabled in bios?  Try from command-line:
>
> mplayer tv://
>
>> No messenger/IRC client's included. I recommend aMSN - check the camera
>> config.
>
> Noted.  But amsn only handles one protocol, so I have ruled it out.  I
> considered pidgin, but oh, the bloat!  I figured people could use
> webchat from somewhere (mibbit?) or else download the client of their
> choice (a highly personal thing, I've found).  This is a demo only.
> Don't need to include everything.
>
>> However much you hate skype - it's needed by travellers. Recommended,
>> or a substitute open-source telephony system.
>
> Not in a demo that's supposed to be as much from Debian main as
> possible, no.  For the same reason, I don't include Acroread or
> Flash Player.
>
>> Iceweasel is ok , needs littlefox theme and doctored tool/menu bars
>> and set "undecorate" and zoomed out.
>
> Noted.

I'll extract my configuration when I get a minute and see if you like
it enough to use it.

>> Lid close to sleep ok, but on wake up it wants a password - had to
>> Ctrl,Alt,Backspace to get the system up again.
>
> Yeah, I noticed that.  I suppose I could just disable xscreensaver on
> suspend in /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts (btw, the username is 'user'
> and password is 'live').

What's root? There's no sudo.

>> Wifi dies during sleep, had to reconnect, so no downloading possible
>> with lid closed. Could sleep be dependant on nothing running?
>
> Eh?  You can't download when asleep anyway :) and yes, when it wakes up
> again you'll have to reconnect.  That's just the nature of wicd, I
> guess, unless you configure it to 'autoconnect' perhaps?  untested.
> Network Manager is another possibility, but not the one in Lenny.
>
>> Another good job Ben - thanks:)
>
> Thank you for testing, John, and for your suggestions.
>
> Ben

Always a pleasure - more as it happens..

John

My house for sale in Peru. http://www.580elbosque.idimo.net
---------------------------------
Become a serious teacher by clicking this link and registering here -
I did and now I am earning -
http://www.seriousteachers.com/teachers.asp?IdTeacherPartner=1085695
Ayer es historia.
Mañana un misterio.
Hoy es un regalo.
Es por ello que es llamado el presente!!
Creo que esta vida es especial