[Debian-eeepc-devel] [eeepc-acpi-scripts] Flexible lid action

Luca Niccoli lultimouomo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:21:03 UTC 2009

2009/4/21 Tanguy Ortolo <tanguy+debian at ortolo.eu>:

> So I think their should be a way to choose the lid action, maybe in
> </etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts>. I see at least three relevant
> actions:
> - suspending;
> - turning off the screen (it cannot be seen when closed!);
> - locking the screen.
> Choosing one of these actions would not reduce the overall
> possibilities, as there are hotkeys for manually ask for suspending or
> blanking.

Mmm, I think that would be reinventing the wheel...
The lid thing is not really eee specific, and there is already the
acpi-support way of configuring this stuff:
you just need to edit /etc/acpi/events/lid
Moreover, at least on the 901, you don't really need to turn off the
screen, it happens already automagically.
I actually think that the screen locking after suspend should be
removed from eeepc-acpi-scripts:
we use pm-utils to suspend, and pm-utils has its own way to lock the screen.
But since this involves writing one's own script (there isn't a
default one provided by pm-utils AFAICS), maybe we could provide one
in /etc/pm-utils/sleep.d/ that sources /etc/default/eee-acpi-scripts
and does nothing if LOCK_SCREEN_ON_SUSPEND=no
That would seem cleaner than the way it's done now...
Cheers,
Luca