[Debian-eeepc-devel] [RFC] wireless.sh: remove special treatment for Atheros

Thiemo Nagel thiemo.nagel at ph.tum.de
Wed Aug 12 14:52:40 UTC 2009

Dear Alan,

> I'd like to request removal of the special treatment for Atheros (v.s.
> Ralink) wireless.  I don't believe it is necessary, and it confused me
> while trying to debug the wireless toggle.
>
> "ifconfig up" should not be necessary either.  network-manager works
> fine without it on my system.  ifupdown must be able to work without it,
> because the interface starts off as "down" when ath5k is loaded at boot
> time.  If "ifconfig up" is necessary in some setups, I can only think
> that they are broken.

If we remove this, we'll probably break things for some etch users who
run eeepc-acpi-scripts from unstable.  Therefore I'd suggest to add
logic to detect the kernel version and only remove the special treatment
for kernels >= 2.6.30.  Yes, that'll add more cruft, but otherwise we
might ruin the experience for people running mixed systems.

Kind regards,

Thiemo

--
| Dipl.-Phys. Thiemo Nagel          |                          |