[Debian-eeepc-devel] [RFC] wireless.sh: remove special treatment for Atheros

Thiemo Nagel thiemo.nagel at ph.tum.de
Wed Aug 12 15:50:32 UTC 2009

Alan Jenkins wrote:
> Are you concerned about the module loading as well, or only "ifconfig
> up" as quoted above?

I'm not into the technical details.  The argumentation is:  "Somebody
put it there, probably there's a reason for it."  So if we care about
backward compatibility with mixed systems, we should research when the
quirks became obsolete.

> Why do we assume 2.6.30 is ok?  Is there an important feature/bugfix in
> it?  Or is this more of a heuristic, in that no-one is able (or
> willing?) to run etch userspace on such a new kernel?

The choice was mostly arbitrary (in my personal experience, ath5k didn't
cause any troubles after 2.6.30.1).  I'm clearly not competent, here.

Kind regards,

Thiemo

--
| Dipl.-Phys. Thiemo Nagel          |                          |