[Debian-eeepc-devel] [RFC] wireless.sh: remove special treatment for Atheros

Alan Jenkins alan-jenkins at tuffmail.co.uk
Wed Aug 12 20:53:01 UTC 2009

Thiemo Nagel wrote:
> Ben Armstrong wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:50:32 +0200
>> Thiemo Nagel <thiemo.nagel at ph.tum.de> wrote:

>>> I'm not into the technical details.  The argumentation is:
>>> "Somebody put it there, probably there's a reason for it."  So if we
>>> care about backward compatibility with mixed systems, we should
>>> research when the quirks became obsolete.
>>
>> Ah, then don't worry about etch.  This probably happened when we relied
>> on non-free madwifi drivers (which is still the only solution for lenny
>> users without a kernel backport) and then it was assumed to be needed
>> for ath5k without testing.  So I don't think we need it anymore unless
>> it can be demonstrated to be needed on lenny with 2.6.26 + madwifi.
>
> That sounds sensible to me.

Ok, I tested the patch.  It does work with 2.6.26 + madwifi +
pciehp_force=1 (whew).  Also 2.6.31-rc, both with and without pciehp.

It doesn't work if the wireless is toggled repeatedly in quick
succession - but that's also true without the patch.   It may be a bug
in pciehp; I don't care enough to track it down.

A good changelog entry might be "Remove old hacks for wireless toggle
key".  Is there anything more you'd like before applying this?

Thanks for your time
Alan