[Debian-eeepc-devel] Problems with wlan on a 1005HA-M

Alan Jenkins sourcejedi.lkml at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 28 14:25:47 UTC 2009

On 8/23/09, Karsten Jaeger <lists at oss42.com> wrote:
> Hi Alan!
>
> Alan Jenkins schrieb:
>> On 8/20/09, Karsten Jaeger <lists at oss42.com> wrote:
>>> Last week I bought my EeePC 1005HA-M. It comes with Windows and Ubuntu
>>> Installation, everything works fine.
>>> Because my favorite OS is Debian I install it on the EeePC with
>>> Standard-Lenny and kernel linux-image-2.6.31-rc5, updating it to sid and
>>> everything worked fine. I updated it last sunday with latest sid and
>>> kernel linux-image-2.6.31-rc6, put in in sleep mode (which worked fine
>>> before) and want to restart it again on monday but nothing worked, I
>>> have a black screen and it do not return from sleep. So I do an cold
>>> reboot.
>>> After that, my wlan said, it have an segmentation fault and also gives
>>> the line back:
>>>
>>> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 132
>>> Because I want to change some more, I do reinstalling it all, but since
>>> than, I can't get wlan to work again.
>>
>> That looks like the new rfkill error code.  Basically it means the
>> wireless has been disabled.  I guess the segmentation fault is a
>> userspace bug, unless you also see a BUG message in dmesg.
>
> I do think about it before, but because it worked before upgrading, I am
> not serios that this is the same.
>
>> You should definitely be able to re-enable the wireless using the BIOS
>> setup screen... try these instructions:
>
> Yes, I can.
>
>> <http://www.1-script.com/forums/wireless-card-and-camera-no-longer-work-or-show-in-hardware-article46509--25.htm>
>>
>> Are you able to confirm that this happens just by upgrading the
>> kernel?  If so, there's only one eeepc-laptop commit between -rc5 and
>> -rc6, and I'm afraid it's mine.
>
> There also was an libc update. Not only the kernel-update. So I can't
> really say, what exactly causes the problem.
>
>> I re-wrote it again for 2.6.32 in a slightly more sensible way.  If
>> we're lucky, your problem is fixed by the re-write and it can be
>> expedited for 2.6.31.  I've attached the relevant changes as a test
>> patch; it should apply cleanly to 2.6.31-rc6.
>
> For now, I do an downgrade to 2.6.30 solve the WLAN-problem, it's more
> needed as LAN. LAN doesn't work by now, but maybe in a few days after
> the new 2.6.30 is uploaded.
>
> I give the test.patch a try on the weekend and get you informed.
>
> Thanks very much,
> Karsten
>
> PS: Sorry Alan, I have to look more carefully on the TO-Header. ;-/

No worries, I've lost count how many times I did that myself.

2.6.31 is fast approaching and this is a bad regression.  Please let
me know if it's fixed by the test patch I sent you earlier.

If that doesn't work, the safest approach is to revert my buggy
code[1].  I've attached the reversions as a patch you can test.

Thanks
Alan

[1] The change responsible was only intended to improve the case where
you toggle the wireless half-way through hibernation.  2.6.31 can live
without it.