[Debian-eeepc-devel] Eeepc 1005HA: enabling network

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Dec 4 10:02:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 13:23:46 -0800 (PST)
Tim Legg <kc0ofc at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The wifi howto does not apply to this wifi card because the 1005HA has the Atheros AR928X which is out of the scope of teh document.  Thanks for the link though.

Eh?  Yes it does.  Read it again:

"The following instructions were written for models using the madwifi
driver, and therefore refer to ath0 as the wireless device name. If you
use ath5k or ath9k, read this as wlan0."

Perhaps you were confused by:

"Note: Do not confuse Atheros AR242x: models 701, 900, 900A, etc. with
Atheros AR928x: 1002HA, 1000HE, etc. This section does not apply to the
latter."

By "this section" it meant just that.  The section of the page
entitled "Atheros AR242x b/g drivers", not the whole page.  The page as
a whole does apply.  There just doesn't happen to be a specific section
for AR928x because there are no special consideration for that
chipset.  It "just works".  I'm thinking now, there *should* be a
section for AR928x that says just that. :)

> auto ath0
> iface ath0 inet dhcp
> wireless-essid router ID

Er, no ... as I said in my note, wlan0.

> So anyway, I don't have wired ethernet working either, or at least not quite.  There is no eth device, but I am able to ping the router somehow.  God only knows how it can do that without any device in the /etc/network/interfaces file.  I didn't know that was even possible.

If you can ping the router, maybe it is not set up properly to give you
a DNS server to point at?  What is in /etc/network/interfaces?

> I think we all learned a lesson in not buying a cutting edge machine and expecting everything to install as cleanly as on my 5 year old workstation.  I am starting to wonder if I should try again in 6 months when hardware support encompases the devices in this laptop.

No.  Don't give up yet ...  Plenty of people have 1005HA working
perfectly.