[Debian-eeepc-devel] rfkill, eeepc-laptop, and ath9k

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 8 21:05:39 UTC 2009

I demand that Kevin Goodsell may or may not have written...

> I know this isn't really an ACPI issue but it must affect the ACPI scripts,
> and I haven't been able to find any useful information anywhere else, so
> I'm wondering what if anything you guys know about it.

> The problem as I understand it, is that eeepc-laptop and ath9k both provide
> an rfkill interface for the wifi device. These two interfaces are different
> somehow and don't play nice together.
[snip]

> Does anyone have any idea why we have these two rfkill interfaces, what the
> "right" way to handle this is, and/or whether anyone is planning on fixing
> this? I find surprisingly little about the problem by googling.

The rfkill interface provided by eeepc-laptop has ACPI and the BIOS
WLAN-enabled flag behind it; consequently, toggle this one, and the setting
will persist over a reboot.

The rfkill interface provided by $WLAN_MODULE is kernel-only.

Which is the right one depends on what you want.

--
| Darren Salt            | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds    ,demon,co,uk    | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/

If you help a friend in need, he's sure to remember you the next time.