[Debian-eeepc-devel] Super Hybrid Engine on eeepc 901c with kernel 2.6.31-6

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 17 23:21:04 UTC 2009

I demand that Shawn Lamson may or may not have written...

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:24:10 +0000
> Darren Salt <linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> I demand that Shawn Lamson may or may not have written...
[snip; SHE-triggered freeze while on mains]
>>> Has anyone else seen this issue?
>> Some 700-series users. Never before a 901 user or, for that matter, any
>> user of _any_ Atom-based model (that I know of); my 901's certainly never
>> shown a problem.

>> OOI, which BIOS version? (I'm using 2103.)

> it's ASUS 901 ACPI BIOS Revision 1703

Hmm. I don't recall exactly which BIOS version was present when I first
tested S.H.E. support... I say upgrade.

>> Your kernel configuration may also be relevant.
>> [snip]

> Also - I double checked and the boot message:
> "Setting super hybrid engine according to configuration... (Battery) ...
done"
> or (AC), appears regardless of the BIOS setting, but flipping the
> "Intel Speed Step Tech" definitely triggers the behavior ...

This is looking like a different problem. Which cpufreq driver is loaded, and
which governor are you using? (ACPI & ondemand, in my case.)

Of the three BIOS settings on the "advanced CPU settings" menu, I have CPUID
value limiting disabled and the other two options enabled.

> I can survive w/o this feature, but it was nice to think i was increasing
> effeciency,

You are, at least normally; better to use a governor which quickly increases
the CPU speed to the maximum so that the task is finished more quickly.

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt            | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds    ,demon,co,uk    | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.xine-project.org/

Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.