[Debian-eeepc-devel] Goals for Squeeze?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Feb 21 18:51:52 UTC 2009

Dear everyone,

I just want to ask, what plans are there for this project now that Lenny
is released?

I see the following, but I do not have a lot of knowledge so it could
be, that it has already been discussed or is not very useful to
implement.

Some of this stuff is also already mentioned on the TODO list in the
Debian Wiki [1].

1. Move to ath5k driver.
2. Merge some of the eeepc-acpi-scripts with a generic packages. Should
not other laptops also need the functionality to switch to an external
monitor using functions keys and executing a xrandr command? The same
for the sound function key and on screen display support?
3. Ubuntu has this special desktop theme or flavor for netbooks called
Netbook Remix [2]. I think, this probably does not belong to the goals
of this project, but should Debian in general create something similar
or is there a way to push something like this somewhere upstream? For
example something generic for GNOME or LXDE?
4. Of course make it faster (more: continue to document it) and try to
for example get sreadahead into Debian.
5. I noticed that my fan turns on after a while and does not turn off
afterwards. These kind of things should be fixed.
6. Update the Wiki or keep it up to date. Is there a plan how we can
differentiate between Lenny and unstable, now that unstable has gotten
more momentum again.
7. Fix all related bugs of course. ;-)

Thanks a lot,

Paul