[Debian-eeepc-devel] Goals for Squeeze?

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sun Feb 22 11:36:18 UTC 2009

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:51:52 +0100
Paul Menzel <paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Some of this stuff is also already mentioned on the TODO list in the
> Debian Wiki [1].

Feel free to update it.

> 1. Move to ath5k driver.

Naturally.  This will be done rather quickly, as 2.6.28 is now in sid
and our eeepc-acpi-scripts in git already supports it.

> 2. Merge some of the eeepc-acpi-scripts with a generic packages. Should
> not other laptops also need the functionality to switch to an external
> monitor using functions keys and executing a xrandr command? The same
> for the sound function key and on screen display support?

File bugs against acpi-support as appropriate, then.

> 3. Ubuntu has this special desktop theme or flavor for netbooks called
> Netbook Remix [2]. I think, this probably does not belong to the goals
> of this project, but should Debian in general create something similar
> or is there a way to push something like this somewhere upstream? For
> example something generic for GNOME or LXDE?

I'm not particularly interested.  I don't really see the need.

> 4. Of course make it faster (more: continue to document it) and try to
> for example get sreadahead into Debian.

This should be a goal of Debian in general, not specific to this
project.

> 5. I noticed that my fan turns on after a while and does not turn off
> afterwards. These kind of things should be fixed.

Naturally.  Do you have any leads on what might be happening?

> 6. Update the Wiki or keep it up to date. Is there a plan how we can
> differentiate between Lenny and unstable, now that unstable has gotten
> more momentum again.

I had thought it would be nice to make a single guide for Lenny from
the collected wisdom of the wiki and then just track Squeeze in the
wiki.

> 7. Fix all related bugs of course. ;-)

:)