[Debian-eeepc-devel] Debian EEE, the 701, and SD card reader kernel bug

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Mon Jan 26 19:30:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 10:53:01AM -0800, mpb wrote:
> I installed Debian EEE.  Everything worked except the card reader.
>
> When I tried to manually mount /dev/sdb1 to /mnt/sdcard, the mount
> command would block for several minutes.  Eventually, the mount would
> exit (claiming success), but /mnt/sdcard would be unreadable (I forget
> whether reading from it would result in blocking or immediate error
> messages).

This problem is known and there is a workaround. I just recently added
this to the wiki, but since
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Troubleshooting only has
cross-references to non-hardware bugs, I put it here:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/InstallOnSDcardOrUsbStick#head-7975900ebf36a00a3a47313f3dd8ca487570fd16

Basically you have to change the NVRAM setting in the BIOS which remembers if the
user went through the initialisation of the EeePC's original OS.
Otherwise you get very strange timeouts with the SD card reader
independently when mounted. The same SD cards work fine in USB card
readers on the same machine.

HTH.
		Regards, Axel
--