[Debian-eeepc-devel] Debian EEE, the 701, and SD card reader kernel bug

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Tue Jan 27 09:39:42 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 04:51:27PM -0800, mpb wrote:
> > http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/InstallOnSDcardOrUsbStick#head-7975900ebf36a00a3a47313f3dd8ca487570fd16
> >
> > Basically you have to change the NVRAM setting in the BIOS which remembers if the
> > user went through the initialisation of the EeePC's original OS.
> > Otherwise you get very strange timeouts with the SD card reader
> > independently when mounted. The same SD cards work fine in USB card
> > readers on the same machine.
>
> Thanks!
>
> I did have the [ BIOS / Advanced / OS Installation ] option set to
> "Start" instead of to "Finished".  I have found this page:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-eeepc-kernel/+bug/301932

Yeah, that's were I found the information how to solve the problem.
It's also linked on the page above. :-)

> Just FYI - there was also something on that page about problems with
> old versions of the EEE BIOS.  My 701 may have an old version of the
> BIOS.

Yeah, but I feel this specific SD card I/O timeout problem is
independent of that, because I also had one case where it happend with
a newer version of the BIOS.

> The version I have is:
>
> ASUS 701 ACPI Bios Revision 0401
> Core Version: 0401
> Build Date: 10/17/07
> EC Firmware Version: 701_065

I first stumbled upon this problem on an EeePC 701 of a friend. The
Ubuntu which was installed on it before by the previous owner worked
fine, also with SD cards, Debian had the above described hassles.

I don't remember exactly which BIOS version that EeePC has, but we checked
it against the data on that site and it either had the newer version
given there or an even more recent one. I think it was the 0901 one.

OTOH I have a also EeePC 701 with 0901 BIOS and never had any problems
of this kind, but I also completed the initialisation of the original
OS. (I was curious how it looked but didn't find the console. So it
lived for about only two hours. ;-)

I just wonder, WTF this setting has to to with the SD card reader...

		Regards, Axel
--
Axel Beckert - abe at deuxchevaux.org, abe at noone.org - http://noone.org/abe/