[Debian-eeepc-devel] Installer bug - root account is locked, user account not created

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Thu Jun 18 22:22:56 UTC 2009

This is not a bug.

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:47:53 +0100 (BST)
Matthew Wakeling <matthew at wakeling.homeip.net> wrote:
> I just tried installing Debian onto my new EeePC 901 using the specific
> installer. I chose expert mode,

First mistake.  More people get into trouble this way.  There are
numerous ways to hose an install using "expert" mode, so I usually
advise against it.

> and chose to make a squeeze machine with
> just the standard system chosen in tasksel.

Second mistake.  This is a Lenny-only installer.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Install

"The usual way to install Debian Lenny on an Eee PC is to install
directly ..."

OK, the wording here could be improved.  It does say that Debian Lenny
is installed.  It doesn't say that Squeeze cannot be installed, but it
should.

If you try to install Squeeze, the installer throws an error (somehow
you missed this? it is at least in the installer syslog.  not sure what
it looks like to the user) complaining about not being able to install
the kernel.

Your options for Squeeze are:

1. use the standard installer

or

2. use the custom installer, install Lenny.  then upgrade to squeeze

Take your pick.