[Debian-eeepc-devel] spam on this debian-eeepc list

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Jun 24 11:22:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:12:40 +0200
Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:
> I am wondering why there is so much spam on this list. I can imagine it
> is a highly visible server but there are other list with much more
> traffic that don't have these amounts of spam. Could somebody enlighten
> me about this? greylisting, spamassassin?

The list is deliberately open so that non-subscribers can post.
Receiving more than the usual amount of spam is an unfortunate
consequence.  Because the list address is used as the contact address
for packages we maintain, it cannot be any other way.

The list software in use is Mailman.  I have used whatever settings
Alioth sets as default, assuming that they are reasonable.  If you
believe their default settings are unreasonable, open a support ticket
with Alioth.  I'll make any adjustments we can agree would cut down on
spam without impeding the normal functioning of the list.

 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org