[Debian-eeepc-devel] 5 second boot desktop with documentation

Frédéric Boiteux fboiteux at calistel.com
Wed Jun 24 11:25:46 UTC 2009

Le Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:55:00 +0100,
Alan Jenkins <sourcejedi.lkml at googlemail.com> a écrit :

> That would make sense.  The next post says it should be fixed in
> 2.6.30 without the option though.
>
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-eeepc-devel%40lists.alioth.debian.org/msg01759.html>

I've tried, but the proposed workaround doesn't work here :-(
I've booted with 'initcall_debug' option to have some more messages,
look at dmesg's file joined to this e-mail.

> > excepted that with a Lenny+Gnone system, I go
> > to 1'01 to boot :-( I wonder how you can boot in less than 10s, as
> > my system only load all needed(?) modules with udev in about 20 s !
>
> module-init-tools from unstable is much faster.  I can't advise
> upgrading it alone, but it is possible [1].  I guess the other 40
> seconds is your punishment for choosing a hard drive model :-).

Oh, I didn't know that flash models were so fast.

> "readahead"/"prefetch" would help a bit with that, I dunno if there's
> a package in Lenny.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try to update module-init-tools, and have a
look to readahead (I was waiting for sreadahead from Arjan, but it
seems to take time to go into Debian…)

	Fred