[Debian-eeepc-devel] Got my 1000HE, here's some info on it.

Cory Nelson phrosty at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 03:55:52 UTC 2009

Delivered yesterday, put Debian on it immediately.  It's got the same
stuff inside as the 1002HA: atl1e wired, AR928X wireless, Elantech
touchpad.  I got something around 6-7 hours of life out of it with
varying firefox+wifi usage, full-screen h.264 playing, and compiling.
Power usage reports as between 10 and 16Wh.

Installed via usb stick using the vanilla installer.  I've got
everything working with the exception of one frustrating issue:  When
I first installed, the touchpad was a complete mess.  Holding my
finger still on it would make it jump sporadically around a ~10 pixel
radius, with some clicks put in for good measure.  Eventually movement
would become very hard, with almost everything was interpreted as
clicks.  Updating kernel to recognize it as an Elantech slightly
solved that.  Now I have no random clicking, but I still have sporadic
movement if ethernet is plugged in.  Unplug ethernet and cursor stays
still.  Doesn't happen with wifi.  It baffles me, if anyone has ideas
I'd appreciate them.

Please, put 2.6.28 (for ath9k) kernel packages with elantech support,
and alsa packages, into the debian-eee repo.  User documentation
should not have "the only way around this is for you to compile a
custom kernel..." anywhere in it -- I'm very happy with my Eee now
that it's mostly usable, but honestly if I wasn't a long-time debian
user comfortable with all this, I would have given up and tried
something else.

--
Cory Nelson