[Debian-eeepc-devel] Got my 1000HE, here's some info on it.

Cory Nelson phrosty at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 11:11:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 2:36 AM, Ben Armstrong
<synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 19:55:52 -0800
> Cory Nelson <phrosty at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Delivered yesterday, put Debian on it immediately.  It's got the same
>> stuff inside as the 1002HA: atl1e wired, AR928X wireless, Elantech
>> touchpad.  I got something around 6-7 hours of life out of it with
>> varying firefox+wifi usage, full-screen h.264 playing, and compiling.
>> Power usage reports as between 10 and 16Wh.
>
> Excellent.
>
>> Installed via usb stick using the vanilla installer.
>
> Vanilla ... the standard installer (i.e. not our debian-eeepc.img
> custom installer?)

Yea, standard installer.

>> Now I have no random clicking, but I still have sporadic
>> movement if ethernet is plugged in.  Unplug ethernet and cursor stays
>> still.  Doesn't happen with wifi.  It baffles me, if anyone has ideas
>> I'd appreciate them.
>
> Strangeness.  No idea.
>
>> Please, put 2.6.28 (for ath9k) kernel packages with elantech support,
>> and alsa packages, into the debian-eee repo.
>
> Our goal is full support in Debian.  We don't do custom kernels.  Is
> ath9k in 2.6.28 itself?  If so, no worries, squeeze will have 2.6.28
> before very long.  As for elantech, we expect to be able to get patches
> into 2.6.28 as needed.  As for alsa, I don't think we need anything
> custom for that.

That's the right goal, but is there a good reason for not having
custom kernels in the eee repo until that happens?  There are other
things in there, why not a kernel?

>>  User documentation
>> should not have "the only way around this is for you to compile a
>> custom kernel..." anywhere in it -- I'm very happy with my Eee now
>> that it's mostly usable, but honestly if I wasn't a long-time debian
>> user comfortable with all this, I would have given up and tried
>> something else.
>
> The wiki lists workarounds until Debian is ready with the things that
> are needed to support the Eee.  So when you complain about "user
> documentation" you are really complaining that users have contributed
> tips to other users to get things working before Debian has full
> support.  I personally don't see anything wrong with this.  You have
> two choices as a user: one, wait until Debian has full support, or two,
> use the workarounds.  If you find the workarounds technically
> difficult, that lands you back with option one.
>
> I understand your frustration, and I understand your point about what
> is best for end-users.  Please don't take this reply as just blowing
> you off about your concerns.  We are striving towards this ideal that
> everything "just works" for users, but we are not going to strike from
> the wiki material that is beyond the comfort level of some users just
> for their comfort when that material would have helped the more
> experienced / adventuresome users.

Right, I'm not suggesting workarounds should not be documented.  Just
that it should be changed to "Until it's in Debian, you may use
package X in our eee repo.  Or do Y to make it happen yourself.".  And
thankfully many of the package issues *are* like that, but not all.

> In the end, we will get there.  We will work on making sure Debian
> itself has full support for your model, to the best of our abilities.
> But it is going to take a bit of time to do this.

Thanks for your hard work :)  I'm a developer myself, I understand
well that the process can only move so fast.

--
Cory Nelson