[Debian-eeepc-devel] Weird behavior with display

Dick Middleton dick at fouter.net
Mon Nov 2 15:59:35 UTC 2009

Ernesto Domato wrote:

>> I have absolutely no idea.  I would call it a bug in X that it could
>> leave your system in this state - unless there is some other program
>> screwing with the video hardware at the same time, which really isn't
>> on.

I think it's more likely a hardware problem.  I assume you've checked
/var/log/Xorg.log for clues.

It's similar to my desktop system if it's started with the monitor powered off
but turned on part way through boot sequence.  Then there's no visible display
until X starts.  Without X there's nothing that can be done to make it visible
except rebooting.  I assume X re-reads the hardware status and reconfigures it.

If you've not done it already you could try removing the battery and leave it
unpowered for a while.   See if it affects the symptoms.

Dick