[Debian-eeepc-devel] New tests was: Weird behavior with display

Ernesto Domato edomat at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 22:07:42 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 07:08, Alan Jenkins
<sourcejedi.lkml at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Yes, splashy would definitely be a candidate to my eyes :-).
>
> I would also suggest ConsoleKit as a remote possibility.  ConsoleKit
> monitors logins and VT switches, which you've mentioned as affecting
> the blackscreen behaviour.  It might be triggering something strange.
>
> Alan

Well, you were right again Alan before when you point me that it could
be some problem on the brightness of the display. After several hours
of testing installing packages and again starting experimenting the
same behavior (it happened after installing the Sid eglibc suite of
packages that comprise libc-bin, libc6, libc6-i686 and locales version
2.10.1-5 but going back to the Squeeze version didn't fix the problem)
on one boot with the black display I touched the brightness control
key of the 901 (Fn+F4) and it started to shows up the screen finally.
What amaze me was that I didn't thought that the computer will keep
the brightness state of the display even when you turn off the
computer and then turn it on so the Asus screen at the beginning of
the boot process isn't shown because of the black screen product of
the brightness setting.

So, there's still some problem when I shutdown the system from the
Gnome desktop environment that puts the brightness state of the
display at the lower level (turning it black) that I should try to see
what is provoking it that doesn't happens when I shutdown the system
from the GDM login manager or a tty console. But at least I know what
the behavior is and maybe someone could point me to which package
could be messing with the brightness setting. I think that
gnome-power-manager with devicekit-power is a good candidate as is
gnome-screensaver, but I'm not so sure really.

Thanks,
Ernesto