[Debian-eeepc-devel] Squeeze release goals

Pedro Bulach Gapski pbgapski at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 13:05:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com> wrote:
> Ben Armstrong writes:
>
>  > Anything else people can think of?
>
> yes, xserver-xorg installation should support gma500 chip set (at least
> for 1101ha).

I have been running squeeze on the ao751h (not an eeepc, but holds a
GMA500), and I believe this can be done with some installer black
magic:
 1. latest grub2 from sid includes 915resolution patch for the GMA500.
With this approach we can work at full screen resolution (1366x768 in
my case), as long as grub-pc is used;
 2. configure a kernel framebuffer with uvesa  (BTW, this gives a
*beautiful* console);
 3. drive X with fbdev.

I have been running with this setup for some weeks now, and It Works For Me.

I believe this is approach is feasible for squeeze and it would solve
a lot of GMA500 problems, and does not involve anything but installer
black magic.

Regards,

Pedro