[Debian-eeepc-devel] Squeeze release goals

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Sun Oct 11 16:25:04 UTC 2009

Pedro Bulach Gapski writes:

 > Sure. Install grub-pc from sid, and add a file to /etc/grub:
 >
 > cat /etc/grub.d/01_915resolution
 > echo insmod 915resolution
 > echo 915resolution 38 1366 768 8
 > echo 915resolution 49 1366 768 16
 > echo 915resolution 58 1366 768 32

pedro,

this i had done already.

 > Install v86d from the archives, as uvesafb requires it. Then add this
 > to /etc/modules:
 > # framebuffer config and console
 > uvesafb vbemode=0x011b nocrtc mtrr=2
 >
 > Please check uvesafb docs, as your module options may be different.
 >
 > Then change xorg.conf and place:
 > Driver          "fbdev"
 > on your device section.
 >
 > That is. One improvement (that I have not tried) would be to load the
 > uvesafb module in the initrd.

before i try that, can you explain what is advantage of using fbdev
driver instead of vesa?

 > For reference, I am running kernel 2.6.30-2 and X 7.4.

my kernel is 2.6.30-6-bpo50+1 and X 7.3.

 > Indeed. My glxgears numbers have been greatly reduced when I upgraded
 > to xorg 7.4, although general experience improved. My glxgears give me
 > about 50 FPS, and performance is acceptable for general use.

that is only 1/4th of what i'm getting.  so the advice is stay with X 7.3
or could your reduced number have something to do with fbdev?

-- juha