[Debian-eeepc-devel] Suspend on 901 with 50% battery left

Alan Jenkins sourcejedi.lkml at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 31 11:08:30 UTC 2009

On 10/30/09, Kris Van Hees <aedil-eeepc at alchar.org> wrote:
> My 901 decided to suspend while it had 50% remaining on battery.  Has anyone
> else had this happen to them?  My guess is a battery event that got
> dispatched
> incorrectly by the ACPI components?  I'm saving the kernel logs for further
> investigation.
>
> 	Kris

The way ACPI is structured, I don't believe the BIOS can force a
suspend.  Nor does the kernel suspend automatically on low battery
conditions; it is a policy decision for userspace.

The default acpid scripts won't suspend automatically.  Are you
running gnome-power-manager, or KDE4 (and hence the KDE4 PowerDevil
daemon)?  Or the KDE3 power applet?  If so, check their configuration.

Personally I don't trust my Eee's battery monitoring hardware enough
to trust it with automatic suspend on _any_ condition.  But the
userspace daemons may have unfortunate defaults.

Did you measure the 50% before or after the suspend?  In particular,
if you plugged the laptop into the mains before resuming, the reading
on resume could be somewhat higher than it was at the time it
suspended.  (Simply plugging in the AC adaptor can cause the reading
to rise, even though the battery hasn't had time to charge at all

Did the machine suspend while you were using it?  Or after a period of
inactivity?  Or did you close the laptop lid?

Regards
Alan