[Debian-eeepc-devel] /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts configuration

Kevin Goodsell kevin-opensource at omegacrash.net
Sun Sep 20 22:45:04 UTC 2009

(Luca, I accidentally sent this to you directly instead of the list the
first time. Sorry about that.)

Luca Niccoli wrote:
>> How about sending dbus messages for a notification daemon?
>> Using dbus-send, while a bit hacky, would just mean to suggest: dbus
>> and notification-daemon (which is provided by various packages).
>
> Actually, using notify-send from libnotify-bin would be much more
> straightforward.
> Luca

I was actually working on this a while ago and have some code for it.
(Actually it's specifically for Ubuntu's notify-osd, and has some bits
that are pretty specific to that.)

The problem I see with OSD in general is that it is too slow. It doesn't
feel responsive at all and it can lag far behind key-presses, especially
when keys are pressed rapidly or held down (as one might do when
adjusting volume). This is what caused me to stop bothering, as a
reasonable solution to this problem was not forthcoming. I thought about
optimizing the scripts (caching as much info as possible) and/or
eliminating the display of intermediate, already invalidated updates
(quite tricky to do, I think). This was all a bit much to undertake
alone, requiring significant structural changes that would be difficult
to get accepted, and frankly being of uncertain usefulness anyway.

-Kevin