[Debian-eeepc-devel] eeepc-acpi-scripts + console + gnu screen ircase?effect

Darren Salt linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 12 14:05:35 UTC 2010

I demand that Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn may or may not have written...

[snip]
> Is writing to /dev/console a good idea, at all?  joeuser is not
> allowed to do that.  This is how that file is listed on my box:

> crw------- 1 root root 5, 1 Mar 15 09:23 /dev/console

Probably not a good idea, but if writing to stdout won't work...

> I also see this (on line 9):
> 	echo "usage: notify 'category' 'message text' [fast]" > /dev/stderr
> Shouldn't that be:
> 	echo "usage: notify 'category' 'message text' [fast]" >&2

Both will work equally well, given that /dev/stderr is a symlink pointing to
the current process's fd 2.

> This:
> 	if [ -n "$4" -o \( -n "$3" -a "$3" != 'fast' \) ]; then
> 	                 ^                            ^
> will fork a subshell.

No; but, unescaped, it would.

[snip]
> What's the use for $4?  It's used in the above expression and never
> again.

"-n $4" should probably be replaced with "$# -gt 3'.

> What does $3 represent?  I see it's tested against the string 'fast'.
> I guess $3 may also have the value 'low' :)

Not really...

> Which variables are global?  Which are local?

It seems safe to say that all variables declared in that function are
intended to be local.

> How smart is to first initialize a variable to the null string:

> 25	OSD_SHOWN=
> 26
> 27	# try to show a nice OSD notification via GNOME OSD service
> 28	GOSDC=/usr/bin/gnome-osd-client

> and then check if it's set to the null string?

> 29	if [ -z "$OSD_SHOWN" ] && [ -x "$GOSDC" ]; then

See commit a0892a9b; consider if code which may set that is inserted between
the initial assignment and that test, and later (re)moved.

--
| Darren Salt            | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Toon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds    ,demon,co,uk    | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/ & http://tlasd.wordpress.com/

Stop searching forever. Happiness is unattainable.